It is that time of the year again! High temperature and humidity, direct sun exposure, no breeze or wind and heavy physical labor can cause heat stress.
Know the signs/symptoms of heat illnesses; monitor yourself; use a buddy system.
Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion:
• Headache, dizziness, or fainting
• Weakness and clammy skin
• Irritability or confusion
• Thirst, nausea, or vomiting
• Drink plenty of fluids. Drink often and BEFORE you are thirsty. Begin to “hydrate” yourself the night before.
• Those doing moderate to very heavy work should take more frequent water breaks in a shaded or air conditioned area.
• Avoid beverages containing caffeine.
• Wear appropriate lightweight, light colored, loosefitting clothes.
• When possible block out direct sun and other heat sources.
• When possible breaks, meetings & note taking, etc. should take place in the shade.